Sdtrk: ‘La fille à la moto’ by Dani
Courtesy of Mr Veach, who was be-poxed by someone else..
What were three of the stupidest things you’ve done?
1. Getting wrapped up in the life and stupidity of She Who Must Not Be Named (that’ll be at the top of the list for a very long time)
2. Missing whitehouse’s performance in Cleveland back in 1995, as they’ll probably never visit Detroit, and they haven’t played east of California in several years
3. Not continuing to study French
Who has the most influence in your life?
Yeah, I’d have to go with Veach’s answer: I do. I’m 95% responsible for my own stupidity (see above), and for my own handful of successes..
Who would you pick up for ‘Dinner For Six’ with your time machine?
Right off the bat: Ian Curtis, Oscar Wilde, Andy Warhol (circa the 60s, cos when the 70s started, he became rather boring), Anthony Burgess, and Hans Bellmer and his Doll. (She doesn’t eat, therefore she’s not really a ‘dinner’ guest.) Burgess would speak at great length about language and its perversities, while Wilde would add various bon mots, and eventually take the verbal stage with a distinctive flourish. Ian could mention the various japes that he and the rest of Joy division have pulled on people, which would probably have everyone laughing, and Warhol would get photos of me alternately asking Bellmer a passel of questions, and hitting on his Doll. Finally, Warhol would undoubtedly pick up the tab. A winning evening!
If granted three non-supernatural wishes, what would they be?
1. For Man to have a better understanding and greater tolerance of his fellow man
2. All those things that we were supposed to have in the Future according to Sixties thinking, i.e, flying cars, daily flights to the Moon, and yes, Synthetiks, etc, would be a reality
3. And for $100,000 USD to be Magickally deposited into my bank account every five days. My needs are simple!
Name two things you regret your city not having and two things people should avoid.
1. A subway/streetcar system. It being the former Motor City, everyone is contractually obligated to use motor vehicles, so we’re lucky to even have a bus service, and that’s a joke in and of itself. God forbid we actually attract people to the city, let alone bring employment into the city, with functional mass transportation!
2. A local footie club (that’s ‘soccer team’, by the way). We used to have them; the Detroit Express in the 80s, and the Rockers in the late 90s, but since soccer isn’t held in very high regard in the States unless you’re under 15 years of age, the Detroit teams withered and died away. Whatever third club Detroit would have probably won’t be good as international teams, but if they do well enough, managers could start looking into buying decent players from other places. *coughManUtdandJuvecough* Even a Championship-level player would be good, really..
People should avoid presumption in their interaction with other humans, as well as driving sport utility vehicles.
Name an event that changed your life.
Round 1989 – 1994, I used to listen to this radio programme on a nearby Windsor station called ‘Brave new Waves’, then hosted by Brent Bambry. During each show’s running time (midnight – 4am), I learned about so many bands and new styles of music that I’d never heard of before. Not only that, but midway through the show, Brent would profile a different artist, relating their history and playing several tracks as well. And of course, since I was learning all about shoegazer, and Plus 8, and 4AD, and Factory, and Rough trade, and etc, I sought out magazines that dealt with the kind of music that was now becoming a large part of my life, and from those magazines, I’d read reviews and interviews citing influences and similar bands that I’d also never before encountered. It was literally as if someone had said, ‘Davecat, here’s a whole new culture — check it out,’ cos much like anime, I didn’t just stick to loving the music, I wanted to learn more about the cultures and movements that started that music. That is, apart from the whole ‘Madchester‘ era. Some good bands, mostly crap lifestyle.
Tag five people.
What, out loud? No, people seem to despise that. If anyone wants to be picked though, leave us a comment, won’t you?
NEXT UP: A report and summation of the whole Synthetiks documentary shoot experience
Random similar posts, for more timewasting:
Now I see why some people prefer Movable Type or WordPress on April 5th, 2005
Remember, remember, the 14th of November on July 4th, 2006